Newcomers Network Communicating Effectively in English
Date: Tuesday 15th December 2015 8:00pm – 9:00pm
Organisation: Newcomers Network
Venue: Google Hangout Live Online
Presenter: Sue Ellson Newcomers Network
Guest: Sue Davis Speaking English
Topic: “Communicating Effectively in English”
Details Online: https://plus.google.com/b/104111341891856006229/events/ccju8s4bu3vj4eq7ae700g03f9o
PowerPoint Slides: (881KB) http://sueellson.com/downloads/151215-newcomers-network-sue-ellson-speaking-english-sue-davis.pptx
Audio Recording: (26.4MB, 00:55:33) http://sueellson.com/downloads/151215-newcomers-network-sue-ellson-speaking-english-sue-davis.m4a
Sue Davis – Founding Director of Australian Accent and Pronunciation
suedavis @ speakingenglish.com.au
+61 3 9885 0744
Questions covered in this presentation
English as a First Language
Why do we find some people easier to understand than others?
What can native English speakers do to improve their pronunciation?
Is Australian English more difficult to understand than English from other countries?
What could native English speakers learn about English from non-native English speakers?
How difficult is it for English speakers to learn other languages?
English as a Second Language
Is it easier to learn English as a second language when you are younger?
What do most people find difficult about learning to speak English?
Is it easier to speak English or write English or does this vary on who is learning?
What are the most effective ways to learn to speak English?
Which techniques are the most important to practice to improve your English pronunciation?
Why do we hear different accents when the person comes from another country?
English for Communication
Why is it important to speak English well in an English speaking country?
What speech techniques can you use to be more influential?
What are the common mistakes that people make in the workplace when English is their second language?
How important is it to learn industry specific word pronunciation?
What is ‘English Language rhythm and intonation’?
How can you learn the cultural component of communicating effectively in English?
Rohini asks, I have been encouraged to practice my English by speaking English at home and at work. Is it absolutely necessary to speak English at home as well as work?
Sam asks, I find it terribly rude when people who do not speak English well use their own language in front of others who only speak English. How can I politely suggest that they should be speaking in English when they are in an English speaking country?
Markus asks, do I really have to watch children’s television to improve my English?
Sophie asks, I speak French and English and I am planning to start a family. Should I only teach them English now that we are living in Australia?
Sue Ellson has experience working with:
- Universities – Monash University, University of Adelaide, University of South Australia, Swinburne University, RMIT University
- Corporates – Ford Motor Company, General Motors Holden, Alcoa, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- Associations – Australian Human Resources Institute, Career Development Association of Australia, Australian Institute of Management, Educate Plus, AFL Coaches and AFL Players Associations
- Outplacement Firms – Macfarlan Lane, EPR International, NetExpat, Dakin Mayers, Resources Global Professionals
- Conferences – Reinvent Your Career, HR in Focus, Educate Plus Biennial International Conference, Career Development Association of Australia National Conference
- Small Businesses – Accounting, Real Estate, Research Services, Counselling, Hypnotherapy, Management Consulting, Recruitment
More details online at http://www.sueellson.com/presentations
Sue also has written many articles – available at http://sueellson.com/publications
Sue Ellson welcomes enquiries about:
- individual LinkedIn consultations
- workshops, training or presentations on the topic of LinkedIn to small or large groups (in Melbourne, interstate or overseas)
- requests for written reviews of LinkedIn profiles
- consultancy services related to LinkedIn, social media, marketing, careers, business etc
sueellson @ sueellson.com or +61 402 243 271 or Skype by appointment (sueellson)