Date: 12 May 2015
Organisation: Australian Businesswomens’ Network
Session: Pre-recorded podcast available through iTunes at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/?id=467504559
Invitation from: Suzi Dafnis
Introduction: Cat Matson
Topic: “Get the most out of your LinkedIn profile”
Details Online: http://www.abn.org.au/business-resources/podcasts/get-the-most-out-of-your-linkedin-profile/
Audio Recording: (65MB, 00:35:09) https://sueellson.com/downloads/150512-australian-businesswomens-network-suzi-dafnis-cat-matson-sue-ellson-linkedin.m4a
Get the most out of your LinkedIn profile
6 May 2015 | Sue Ellson | No Comments
Click to download the interview
Sue Ellson is an independent LinkedIn specialist as well as a careers adviser and consultant. She was also one of the first 1,000 members in the world to get on LinkedIn. In this podcast, she generously offers her LinkedIn expertise, giving nifty hints to ensure you get the most out of your LinkedIn account.
Sue doesn’t work for LinkedIn; consequently, her glowing review of LinkedIn’s features is authentic and unbiased. She encourages LinkedIn users to consider upgrading to the premium service. Why? Because:
You will come first in search results which means you have a better chance of attracting potential clients/customers
If you decide to apply for jobs, your profile will come up higher in the list of job applicants
You gain access to the InMail message function. You can contact people directly and they’re more likely to respond to an InMail message
And all of this for just $45 a month. Having a premium badge also lends you some prestige.
Sue strongly suggests that if you have 70% capacity in any area of expertise, never hesitate to include it on your profile. Many women are reluctant to include their areas of expertise on their LinkedIn, but Sue says: “Don’t be ashamed to showcase your skills.”
Listen to this Social Media for Small Business interview with Sue Ellson to learn:
- How to get the most out of LinkedIn groups
- The importance of building your brand on LinkedIn
- How to use the tagging feature for connections, to get your own personal customer relationship management system
- Why it’s all about quality not quantity when it comes to posting
- How to get more people looking at your LinkedIn profile
Sue Ellson’s favourite social media tool is (surprise, surprise) LinkedIn. She prefers using it on her computer rather than a tablet or smartphone device, because a desktop computer offers her full functionality.
Aside from LinkedIn, Sue loves using Google Plus because it boosts her search results especially when she links her other publications. Sue also enjoys using Youtube to publish her videos because it gives her immediate results.
At the end of the day, Sue sees social media platforms as a tool and says nothing beats face to face contact which is why she still attends events.
Mentioned in this episode:
- How Google’s Mobile-Friendly Algorithm Change Will Drastically Affect Your Website’s Traffic [INFOGRAPHIC
Google Mobile-Friendly Website Test
- On LinkedIn? Join the Australian Businesswomen’s Network LinkedIn Group here
- This post was co-authored by Yenée Saw. Yenée is currently completing a content marketing internship at the Australian Businesswomen’s Network. She studies an Arts/Law degree at the University of New South Wales.
Sue Ellson has experience working with:
- Universities – Monash University, University of Adelaide, Swinburne University, RMIT University
- Corporates – Ford Motor Company, General Motors Holden, Alcoa, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- Associations – Australian Human Resources Institute, Career Development Association of Australia, Australian Institute of Management, Educate Plus, AFL Coaches and AFL Players Associations
- Outplacement Firms – Macfarlan Lane, EPR International, NetExpat, Dakin Mayers, Resources Global Professionals
- Conferences – Reinvent Your Career, HR in Focus, Educate Plus Biennial International Conference, Career Development Association of Australia National Conference
- Small Businesses – Accounting, Real Estate, Research Services, Counselling, Hypnotherapy, Management Consulting, Recruitment
More details online at http://www.sueellson.com/presentations
Sue also has written many articles – available at https://sueellson.com/publications
Sue Ellson welcomes enquiries about:
- individual LinkedIn consultations
- workshops, training or presentations on the topic of LinkedIn to small or large groups (in Melbourne, interstate or overseas)
- requests for written reviews of LinkedIn profiles
- consultancy services related to LinkedIn, social media, marketing, careers, business etc
sueellson @ sueellson.com or +61 402 243 271 or Skype by appointment (sueellson)
Submit your review